Quick start guide
How to use Contrelle...
Using Contrelle is as simple as using a tampon, though works in a very different way. But before you get started, watch our video and read the Instructions for Use (IFU). And do please check the list of contraindications and precautions before using Contrelle.
Choosing the right size
Contrelle is available in 3 sizes (Size 1, 2 and 3, you will find the number indicated in the hollow on the underside of the foam piece). Each size uses the same applicator.
You may need to experiment a little to find out which size suits you best. The sizing kit contains all 3 sizes and will help you find the most effective and comfortable fit for you. Finding the right size has nothing to do with the amount you leak, how much you weigh or how tall you are.
Every woman is different – the size you need depends on the size and shape of your vagina, as well as the amount of support or gentle pressure needed on your bladder to help stop leaks. Selecting the right size – using the sizing kit – is important so you get the most effective and comfortable fit to help stop your leaks when you laugh, cough, sneeze or exercise. There is no benefit in trying a size which is too large as it will not provide better results in stopping leakage. It will also be tight to easily insert and will make removal difficult.
To find the right size for you, we suggest:
- It is recommended you start with size 1
- Once inserted you should feel comfortable
- You should experience little or no urine leakage when you are active or when you cough, and the device should not move
- If you still experience leakage or you feel the device moves with size 1, try size 2
- If significant leakage still occurs with size 2 or the device moves, change to size 3
- We recommend you should walk for at least 30 minutes, cough, jump or run to check for any leakage and movement
- Contrelle® Activgard should always be easy to insert. A small amount of water-based lubricant should provide added comfort to insert
Some women will find their size quickly, and others may need to try all three to find their perfect fit.
Many women find using a water-based lubricant such as YES, can help ease insertion.
Contrelle is fitted properly if:
- You can walk for 30 minutes, cough, jump or run without any leakage or with substantially reduced leakage.
- You are still able to urinate. Contrelle should not stop you from passing urine.
Don’t be put off if you still leak a little at first. This can be because your body is getting used to the fit or because you’re one of the few that will continue to leak but at a significantly reduced rate.
Some women may experience slight initial discomfort until they get used to the product. Clinical experience suggests most women do not feel Contrelle Activgard after 2 or 3 uses.
Please read the full Instructions for Use leaflet inside your Sizing Kit Pack before use.
See what women
are saying Read more
Visit our FAQs
for more info
Have any other
questions? Ask us here
Removal is easy
To remove the Contrelle Activgard device, relax and hold both strings evenly together (either side of the knot), as close as possible to the body, then gently and slowly ease the device out of the vagina.
We recommend using a water-based lubrication gel, such as Yes, to ease removal. Some women find they don’t need this after the first few uses.